I’m a tax and business consultant with experience in both law practice (tax and corporate, currently not practicing law) and Big 4 public accounting/tax consulting. I utilize my practice experience and knowledge developed through an advanced law degree (LL.M in Taxation & Business) in advising companies to manage and mitigate risk, resolve current issues, and plan for the future. I bring an entrepreneurial spirit and strategic approach to planning and solving problems.
Based in Cincinnati, Ohio, I serve as a Tax Manager with a Big 4 Public Accounting/Tax Consulting firm, focused in providing multistate tax services both publicly traded and privateIy-held companies ranging from high-growth pre-IPO ventures and mid-market businesses, through Fortune 100. I advise clients throughout Ohio, as well as collaborating with the tax teams in our Indianapolis and Chicago offices to guide clients across our greater region and nationally. My practice includes providing state and local tax consulting, planning, compliance, controversy, and provision review services. Clients come to me for assistance in business and tax planning for a new or existing venture or transaction, or for help identifying and resolving current business and tax issues.
Prior Law Practice Experience
Previously, I practiced as a corporate and tax associate with a regional Kentucky law firm based in Lexington, and as an associate with a boutique tax and business planning and litigation firm based in Columbus, Ohio. In those roles, I served clients throughout Ohio and Kentucky. My practice included representing businesses and individuals in federal, state, and local tax and corporate consulting, planning, compliance, controversy, and litigation matters. Clients cameto me for assistance in business and tax planning for a new or existing venture or transaction, or for help identifying and resolving current business and tax issues. In my former law practice, I focused on using my background to help start-up founders, small to mid-sized businesses, and large companies with all aspects of funding/financing, structuring, operating, growing, protecting, defending, and transitioning their ventures.
Some of the practice areas, and matters I handled for clients as an attorney included:
- Business Formation – I helped business owners determine the best type of entity for their company, and work with them to prepare and file all necessary documents to do so, such as articles of organization/incorporation, operating agreements, and other documents.
- Entrepreneurial Ventures – I assisted entrepreneurs in addressing intellectual property, financing, regulatory compliance and other considerations for their startup ventures.
- Employment Agreements – I helped businesses draft proper employment agreements to clearly define the employer-employee relationship, including noncompete, nonsolicitation, nondisclosure/confidentiality, and other important related agreements.
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) – I assisted clients in buying and selling businesses or shares of businesses, including consulting to minimize related tax consequences.
- Tax Consulting – Corporate, Partnership, S Corporation, Trust, Tax Exempt Organization, and Individual – I worked with business owners and individuals to identify and implement tax planning strategies related to their C corporation, S corporation, partnership, tax exempt organization, trust, and individual taxes. My review can include federal, state, local, and international tax, as well as all different tax types (income/franchise, net worth, gross receipts, sales & use, and estate and gift taxes).
- Real Estate Transactions – I assisted clients in buying and selling commercial real estate as part of their M&A transactions.
- Business Succession Planning & Estate Planning – I helped clients transition their closely-held or family-owned businesses to the key employees or next generation, while preserving and protecting their personal assets for future transfer to specific family, friends, or charities.
- Compliance, Controversy & Litigation – I represented clients in business and tax compliance, controversy, and litigation matters, both civil and criminal. These matters could arise from: failure to file returns/pay tax (domestic or offshore voluntary disclosures), tax audit/examination (defending taxpayers), tax assessments and collections (including identifying and pursuing collection alternatives), government investigations (defending taxpayers facing taxing authorities, other regulators, and government attorneys), corporate shareholder/LLC member/partner disputes, leases or real estate transactions, and more.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Ohio State Courts (Ohio Supreme Court)
- Ohio Federal Court (U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio)
- Kentucky State Courts (Kentucky Supreme Court)
- U.S. Tax Court
- LL.M. (Master of Laws), Business & Taxation, Concentrated in Finance & Corporate Governance – Capital University Law School
- J.D., Capital University Law School, cum laude, Order of the Curia National Honorary Legal Fraternity
- B.S., Business Administration: Organizational Leadership & Business Law – Miami University